Friday, November 11, 2011

The Piano

There is a piano in my den that I have had since I was 7. Many sweet memories of precious fingers have touched those keys. My daddy taught me to play Chopsticks; Deborah Gainey Martin gave me MANY lessons, and I still love to hear her play. My brother, Jeff and I would play “Heart and Soul” over and over again.
One day in the early ‘70s a family moved to our city and started attending our church. Mom was in need of a babysitter for the summer and one of the teenagers in that family was chosen to stay with us. I learned many facts about her in the next couple of days. Her name was Rhonda Covalt and she had two sisters and a brother. She had lost her father. I had never met anyone before whose daddy had died and it made me feel very sad for her.
When Rhonda came to stay with us for the first day, she sat down at my piano and started playing and singing a song that I hadn’t heard before. She sang,
” Because He Lives”, and knowing that she had just lost her father, I listened to the words as she sang because I knew they must have meant so much to her.

God sent His son, they called Him Jesus
He came to love, heal, and forgive.
He lived and died to buy my pardon,
An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, All fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives.

(site to hear this song) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVdEdIDyeaA&feature=related
Forty years have past I still remember that day. It’s funny how our minds never forget some moments in time. There have been some days that I didn’t know how I would face tomorrow and that song played and sang so long ago would replay in my mind.
Several years ago I had the opportunity to walk into the grave that is believed to be the one where Jesus rose from the dead. Once again the song played in my mind, “Because He Lives, I can face tomorrow…”

He DOES live and I CAN face tomorrow in my Risen Savior’s arms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jill, both of my sisters told me about your blog entry. How surprised I was to hear that my first day babysitting you and Jeff is still fresh in your memory. But God can use people of all ages to do His work and will, however clueless we may be at the time. Ever since I can remember, music has played an important role in my life. Praise the Lord for good gospel songs that bring peace and comfort and that help heal our hearts and encourage us.

I read some of your other blog entries, and it’s obvious that our risen Savior is the focal point of your life. What would we do without Him?! I was sorry to hear of your dear daddy’s passing, but I rejoice that he is whole and in the presence of His Savior. That knowledge truly does take away the sting of death.

Though I don’t remember details of my time with you and Jeff, over the years I have talked about that experience and I remember it fondly. May the Lord bless you and your family as you serve Him each day.

Rhonda Covalt Scofield