Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Pensacola Christian Friends

Last night I had the opportunity to have dinner with about half a dozen of my “old” classmates from Pensacola Christian School. Most of us have known each other since kindergarten and that is a special bond that the years just can’t take away.
We all went into different areas of work. One is a nurse, one works in radiology; two are teachers, and one golf professional. We also all have VERY different personalities! (They know which ones I put the exclamation point for J ).
Time has changed us of course; we all probably have more pounds to love and less brain cells to spare. Some of us have been through sad circumstances with the death of a spouse or father or mother. For others divorce or financial strains have stretched their faith muscles to the brink. We have lost three of our classmates just in the last year.
We do not all agree on every political or moral issue. Things even got a little “heated” in some of those areas! There were moments last night that I had to bite my tongue. Some times I should have spoke up but didn’t.
As I sat looking around the table at each one of them, I remembered what we all looked like as children and wondered if the things in their lives came to pass like they thought they would or did some of our lives take turns and twists and “triple loops” that we didn’t want or didn’t plan to take. Which situations made us bitter or angry with God? Which ones could we have avoided? Which ones can we change with the Lord’s help? For me, my life did not take the perfect path. Some things I brought on myself and some things God allowed to happen to make me stronger.
One of my classmates called me a “SAINT” at one point in our conversation! This is too funny on so many levels, but I was thankful at least that she could see I was trying to live for the Lord now.
Yep, our table was a very wide variety of people, but what occurred to me was that each one of us God created. He loved each one and placed in our DNA His blueprint. He knew before time began that we would be friends.
Thank you Lord for my friends from long ago. Please keep them close to You and Your will. Through the years I ask that you work in their children and grandchildren’s lives. May they accept Your gift of salvation early in life. Amen

No comments: