Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Papa







Yesterday in Pensacola someone quietly turned 80 years old. His name is George Watson but to his family he is our “Papa”.
Now the catch to this is that he is not my father or my father-in-law, but is my “former father-in-law” and he is also my next door neighbor. You know it’s the type of thing they like to put on Jerry Springer. I’m afraid people would be disappointed though if they want to see a fight, for I love him very much and he thinks of me as one of his own still.
I met Papa when I was 13. He owned the ‘Friendly Plumber’ here in Pensacola and on Fridays I would get the opportunity to go to their house for steak and a discussion of the week they had with business or politics. The one thing as a teen that I always remembered about him is although he DID complain about our local government, he also seemed willing to help change it and he truly cared about the people of Pensacola and for the well being for his future grandchildren.
He told me his story of coming out a rough area of Texas and although he had every opportunity to take the wrong roads in life, he had a desire to succeed and boy did he ever.
He later sold the Friendly Plumber which did very well and started a group in Pensacola called TRIM which stood for Tax Reform in Motion. He was applauded by many in Florida and other states for his role in attempting to cut wasted tax money. His grandchildren knew from toddlers that their grandfather was contributing his time to help our government.

A few years later they were able to observe how an election as they helped their Papa win a seat on the Escambia County Utility Board. He served honorable for many years.
He is now retired and though he struggles each day with lung problems he still enjoys life and spending time with each of us and the love of his life, Grams. On Saturdays, ALL of us meet at their house and have lunch. It warms my heart to hear him say the blessing. He has taught me so many things in these last thirty plus years and we are praying for many more with him.


Happy Birthday Papa!

No comments: