Friday, April 09, 2010

Deborah




What did you do most Friday nights as a child? I can tell you what I did without blinking. I spent it with my cousin Deborah. Our dads are brothers and our moms were best friends. We had the blessed opportunity of being raised in Christian families. Something I took for granted back then.
Almost every Friday evening our families would get together and the parents played Rook while the four of us kids played together. As the years passed, playtime faded and a wonderful “talk time” developed with my cousin Deborah.
She is two years older than me which I know isn’t much but when you’re in the eighth grade and your best friend is in tenth, then it’s a BIG difference in the mind of a middle school kid. I’m sure I drove her insane some nights. She was my hero! We sat together every time the church doors were open at same church and school and at Pensacola Christian back then, the middle school and the high school was together. I would try to get to school early just so I could hang out with HER and all her “cool” friends like Victor and Neva and the rest of you Class of ’79 bunch. Bless her heart; she was patient looking back now.
One of the saddest days I can remember was the day she went away to college. I think I was “in mourning” for weeks. lol I remember sitting in church for the last Sunday night together and thinking”It will never be the same after tonight”. I was right, things were never the same. We grew up and had to move on.
Through the years both of our lives have experienced extreme happiness, fear, sweet surprises, and heartache. The only “Constant” has been the Lord’s care and love.
We live twelve hours away from each other and never get to spend as much time as we would like to together.
At the moment she and her husband are going through the pain of his cancer and I just want to be there to help and talk to her, but the Lord put me in Florida and her in North Carolina. She knows how much I love and miss her. (Personally I think she is out of the will of God until she moves back down to Fl.)
Tomorrow is her birthday. Though I can’t be there with her, I just wanted to thank her for all she has meant to me through the years and pray that she and Steve can have a wonderful day together.
I love you Deborah!

No comments: