Thursday, January 15, 2015

Thirty years ago today, I headed off to work like any normal day. I was moving a little slower due to being VERY pregnant at nine months and counting. I remember being terrified! Not because she was sitting Indian style straight up breech
and a C-section (major surgery back then) would be the only way to get her out, but what in the world would I do with her after that? I prayed and read all the "in" books on parenting. NOTHING prepares you for the real thing! After work that day we went to a new burger place, 'Wendy's' that had just opened on Davis. It was a Wednesday and we went to church after dinner. I didn't know it would be my last few moments of.....not wondering where she was all of the time. Pastor Meloy must have preached quite the sermon that night and that tiny baby responded by deciding I should go into labor right there at church! We had quite the fan club following us to Baptist Hospital. I still have the note that was passed from the waiting room to me. For someone who still doesn't like the attention put on her, she had a lot of attention THAT night!
What I remembered from the years to follow were words that could drive me crazy at that moment, but now I cherish them... "Just ONE MORE dwink of watta, Mama." "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy, Daddy can you bring me just ONE Mwa dwink of watta."
"Let's pretend I'm a teacher, David, and you be the student." (David always had to be the student.) "Let's make a craft today", she said to her 'uncrafty' mom. The eyes, those beautiful eyes started ROLLING when the sweet little girl was put out about something. Did I mention this started at about 1 1/2 years old? Her dad and I were strict to her when she was like that, but when she wasn't looking......we looked at each other just a little terrified of what this strong-willed little being would turn out like! Life happened, and it was not easy for this independent, "I do it myself" little girl. Challenges encouraged her stay close to the Lord.
Today, on the eve of her 30th birthday, I'm here to say she is EVERYTHING a mother could ever hope and pray for. Thank you to all of those who gave of themselves to teach, mold, love, and pray for her. Thank you, Tiffany, for all of the things you have been to me. I love you!

No comments: